June 1 1920
Maj. Albert Bond Lambert and other members of the Missouri Aeronautical Society leased a 160 acre cornfield 11 miles northwest of downtown St. Louis to develop the property into an airfield.
The International Air Races, the world’s first aviation meet, were held. The field is officially dedicated as Lambert-St. Louis Flying Field.
Maj. Albert Bond Lambert bought the 170 acre airfield and became the sole proprietor of Lambert Field. Later that year, Robertson Aircraft Corporation was awarded the airmail route between St. Louis and Chicago. Robertson hired Charles Lindbergh as their chief airmail pilot.
Charles Lindbergh flies solo from New York to Paris in the plane named the “Spirit of St. Louis” in honor of Maj. Albert Bond and other financial backers in St. Louis.
The City of St. Louis leased Lambert Field from Maj. Lambert for $1.
The city of St. Louis passed a $2 million bond issue to purchase Lambert-St. Louis Flying Field making it one of the first city-owned airports in the country.
Rear Admiral Richard E. Byrd officially dedicated the airfield as Lambert-St. Louis Municipal Airport.
Trans World Airlines was the first airline to inaugurate Cargo Service with a shipment of livestock from St. Louis to Newark.
Lambert’s first Terminal Building was completed.
St. Louis voters passed a $4.5 million bond issue to expand the airport by 867 acres and build a new terminal.
Ozark Airlines begins operations with its first flight from St. Louis to Chicago.
Construction on the new terminal began. It was designed by Minoru Yamakasi at a cost of $7.2 million.
The present Main Terminal building was officially dedicated. It consisted of three sets of intersecting barrel vaults, built in thin-shell concrete, glass facades and no interior columns. Both John F. Kenney airport in New York and Charles DeGaulle Airport in Paris were built with similar dome esigns.
TWA inaugurates all jet service with daily flights between St. Louis and New York on a Boeing 707. The day before, 20,000 aviation enthusiasts gathered at Lambert Field to see the plane.
TWA inaugurates single plane service to Europe.
Voters passed a $200 million airport revenue bond for further expansion which included adding a fourth dome to the Main Terminal.
Airport’s name officially changed to Lambert-St. Louis International Airport
TWA inaugurates Lockheed 1011 service. The first flight from St. Louis to Los Angeles is flown on autopilot from takeoff to landing.
TWA named Lambert-St. Louis International Airport as its principal domestic hub.
The official opening of Concourse D. Ozark Airlines was the prime tenant in the new concourse.
Southwest Airlines began service at Lambert.
Lambert becomes international gateway to Europe when TWA began flights to Paris, London, and Frankfurt.
TWA acquires and merges Ozark Airlines into its operations.
TWA relocates its corporate headquarters from New York to St. Louis.
The official opening of Lambert’s East Terminal which adds 220,000 square feet of new terminal space.