A crowd watches overhead as crews from the Missouri History Museum install the left wing to Lindbergh’s 1934 Monocoupe that returned to Lambert on October 20.

The Missouri History Museum was certainly winging it this week, but they knew what they were doing. Aviation restoration and exhibition experts were on hand to complete the return of a 1934 D-127 Monocoupe built for Charles Lindbergh. It was removed in early 2011 after more than 30 years on display over the C Checkpoint. It was removed to make way for terminal renovations. During its two-year hiatus, the Museum completely restored the historic plane and its original fabric skin (wings). On October 20 crews reattached the wings on site before raising the plane over the checkpoint once again. The Museum also added a new interactive digital history display on the upper level.